Donating to charity is a fantastic way to declutter your life, especially when you're gearing up for a move. Instead of hauling items you no longer need to your new home, donating them can make a positive impact on your community and the world. However, the process can be daunting amidst the chaos of moving. Luckily, many charities offer free donation pickup services, making it more convenient for you to contribute to a good cause. Here, we've compiled a list of 15 such charities, along with detailed descriptions of each, and some handy donation tips.
- About Goodwill: Goodwill is a renowned American nonprofit organization founded in 1902. It is dedicated to providing job training and employment opportunities to individuals who face barriers to employment, including youth, the elderly, people with disabilities, and those reentering the workforce after a prison sentence. With over 4,200 stores in the US and Canada, Goodwill sells donated goods at discounted prices, using the proceeds to support job training and placement programs.
- Donation Pickup: Many Goodwill locations offer pickup services, especially for large items like furniture.
- Contact: Reach out to your local Goodwill to arrange a pickup.
- About The Salvation Army: The Salvation Army, founded in 1865, is a global charity present in 131 countries. It offers unconditional friendship and practical help to individuals of all ages, backgrounds, and needs. The organization serves a wide range of individuals, including the homeless, victims of human trafficking and domestic violence, vulnerable youth, the elderly, and victims of natural disasters. They also reunite families through their Family Tracing Service.
- Donation Pickup: The Salvation Army provides free pickup services for furniture and other large items.
- Scheduling: Plan ahead, as bookings are typically secured 3-4 weeks in advance.
- About AMVETS: The AMVETS National Service Foundation is a 501(c)(3) veterans charity that has been serving US veterans since 1948. It provides veterans, their families, and survivors with exceptional counsel and representation before the US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). Operating in 22 states, AMVETS National Service Foundation has physical stores and donation pickups all across the country, which help fund community outreach programs and job training courses.
- Donation Pickup: Many AMVETS locations across 22 states offer donation pickup services.
- Contact: Reach out to your local AMVETS thrift store to schedule a pickup.
- About Habitat for Humanity: Established in 1976, Habitat for Humanity is a nonprofit organization dedicated to providing affordable accommodation to those in need across the globe. They work in over 1,300 communities across the US and in over 70 countries worldwide. Habitat for Humanity not only builds new homes but also renovates existing houses, especially in urban areas. They also help people repair and improve their own homes and neighborhoods.
- Donation Pickup: Habitat ReStores often offer free pickup services for furniture and large items.
- Scheduling: Visit their website and enter your zip code to find the nearest store and schedule a pickup.
- About The Arc: Founded in 1950, The Arc is a nonprofit organization that offers support to people with mental disabilities, encompassing over 100 different diagnoses, including autism, Down syndrome, Fragile X syndrome, and other developmental disabilities. With more than 600 state and local chapters throughout the country, The Arc sells donated items at thrift stores, using the funds generated to support their work.
- Donation: Check with your local chapter to see if they accept physical items and offer pickup services.
- Contact: Reach out to the local chapter in your area for donation and pickup details.
- About Pick Up Please: Pick Up Please is a program that supports Vietnam Veterans of America (VVA), an organization established in January 1978. It offers assistance to all of America's veterans, not just those of a particular age group or war. By donating used clothes, shoes, small appliances, and other domestic goods, you help generate funds to look after the soldiers and servicemen who help protect the country from harm.
- Donation: You can donate a wide range of items, including clothing, shoes, purses, books, exercise equipment, household items, small home furnishings, electronics, toys, and more.
- Scheduling: For most locations, it's possible to schedule a pickup with just 24 hours of notice, which is convenient if you are moving on a tight timeline.
- About ClothingDonations.org: This service of Vietnam Veterans of America collects used clothes and household items at your convenience and uses them to support initiatives that address the concerns and necessities of all veterans. All donations are sold to thrift stores, and the money generated from the sale of the items is used to fund their programs.
- Donation: Some of the items they accept for donation are clothing, shoes, baby items, bikes, toys, small appliances, jewelry, cosmetics, curtains, bedding, small furniture, rugs, portable TVs, tools, kitchenware, electronics, and more.
- Scheduling: To schedule a free pickup, either call 888-518-VETS or schedule online on their website.
- About Furniture Bank Network: The Furniture Bank Network is a collection of furniture banks from across North America. These furniture banks are registered charities, nonprofit organizations, or social enterprises designed to provide lightly used household furnishings to needy people and families, at discounted rates or absolutely free. All donations are given to people in need who can't afford to furnish their houses, including unemployed and working poor, previously homeless people, women and children escaping domestic violence, immigrants, people with intellectual or physical disabilities, those affected by natural disasters, and others.
- Donation: They typically accept furniture of all kinds, electronics, small appliances, and housewares.
- Scheduling: Search for participating organizations offering free pickups on their website.
- About PickUpMyDonation.com: This online donation request platform has been operating since 2012, focusing on large item donations that can't be easily donated without a truck. The platform supports independent nonprofit thrift stores in your community with securing goods they may need for their own work or for organizations they're serving. It serves as the connection point between donors and pickup providers.
- Donation: You can submit a donation request in less than 90 seconds, right from your phone, computer, or tablet.
- Scheduling: To schedule a free pickup, visit their website and enter your zip code. Mention what items you would like to donate and also provide potential pickup dates/times that would work for you.
- About GreenDrop: GreenDrop is a charitable organization based in Philadelphia, PA, that offers quick and efficient donation pickup and drop-off services. They assist charitable programs for the American Red Cross, the National Federation of the Blind, Military Order of the Purple Heart Service Foundation, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Long Island Donation Center, and the Society of St. Vincent de Paul of Philadelphia. When making a donation through GreenDrop, you can decide which program your donation benefits.
- Donation: The organization typically accepts clothes and shoes (both new and lightly used), games, toys, tools, books, small electronics, kitchenware, small furniture, sporting goods, instruments, and more.
- Scheduling: You can schedule a free pickup by visiting GreenDrop's website and entering your ZIP code and contact information.
Big Brothers Big Sisters of America
- About BBBSA: Big Brothers Big Sisters of America (BBBSA) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization whose mission is to guide and help children take charge of their futures and realize their full potential with community-based mentoring, school-based mentoring, and more. The organization matches adult volunteers with children from age five to young adulthood.
- Donation: BBBSA typically accepts clothing, books, jewelry, domestic items, small toys, DVDs, exercise equipment, small musical instruments, collectibles, and kitchenware.
- Scheduling: Head over to their website to schedule a free pickup. Remember, if you are leaving your goods at the doorway, mark each package with "BBBS." Their drivers will take only those items marked as such.
- About Patriots and Paws: Patriots and Paws is a nonprofit organization that aims to provide home furnishings, including furniture, kitchenware, rugs, antiques, tables, and more, to military veterans, active military, and reservists who move into new dwellings and can't afford these basic necessities.
- Donation: The organization accepts most items used to furnish a home, including kitchen appliances, refrigerators, countertop microwaves, washers, dryers, gas ranges, clean mattresses and box springs, furniture, rugs, and houseware.
- Scheduling: Patriots and Paws are located in Orange County, California. To schedule a pickup, you can either call them at 1-714-323-7229, email them at firstname.lastname@example.org, or complete an online form on their website.
- About Out of The Closet: Out of The Closet Thrift Stores (OTC) was established in 1990 to help raise funds and awareness for AIDS Healthcare Foundation. For each donation, 96 cents of every dollar made goes to AIDS Healthcare Foundation's HIV prevention and treatment services. Your donations also allow OTC to offer high-quality HIV testing services at all of their locations.
- Donation: Items they typically accept include furniture, kitchenware, home decor, appliances, electronics, tools, musical instruments, men's and women's clothing, shoes (teen and adult sizes only), books, film and TV memorabilia, CDs, and artwork.
- Donation Pickup: OTC offers scheduled pickups of your large item donations. Simply make an appointment by filling out an online form, and their drivers will pick up large items from your home.
- About Donation Town: Donation Town is a donation pickup service directory that connects donors with charities all over the US that offer free donation pickup services. They try to include charities of all types and sizes and are also adding new charities regularly.
- Donation: The charities in their directory accept a wide variety of donations, including clothing, furniture, toys, shoes, general household items, antiques, books, and more.
- Donation Pickup: All of the nonprofit charities on Donation Town offer an IRS tax deduction receipt whenever you donate, and you are free to donate to the charity of your choice.
- Scheduling: To schedule your donation pickup, simply enter your zip code here and choose from charities in your local area that will pick up your donations.
- About Easy Donation Pickup: Operated by the National Veterans Foundation (NVF), Easy Donation Pickup provides support to veterans of the US armed forces and their families. It offers assistance with a veteran-to-veteran counseling line, advocacy, and assistance with everyday essentials like clothing, food, and transportation.
- Donation: All donations are either sent to the veterans who need assistance or are sold to raise funds. The organization accepts almost anything as long as one person can carry it.
- Scheduling: To schedule a pickup, you can either call them at 855-628-8387 or schedule online. You don't even need to be home for the pickup. Just leave your packaged items on the porch, and their drivers will arrive on the scheduled date and leave your tax receipt on your door.
Donating items before a move is not only a great way to declutter but also a chance to make a difference. Use the convenience of free pickup services offered by these charities to simplify the process. Remember to ensure your donations are in good condition, browse each organization's website to align with your values, and plan ahead by scheduling pickups well in advance. Happy donating!